A shoutout…. Art Rave refuses to die!
Not only was Art Rave’s Annual General Meeting held on Apr. 22 and a new board elected (with places for any of you who want to volunteer), but there a suite of Spring events are planned with more to come.
These events, some in partnership with others, have the promise of being lots of fun and attracting new members.
2022 Art Rave Board:
- Colleen Clancy: Chair,
- Robert Gunn: Treasurer,
- Jillian Mayne: Secretary.
- Board members at large: Theresa Kingston, Laurie Blakley, Sue Thomas, (Beate Grennamen to be confirmed)
On-going events include:
- May 5th – opening reception of the Museum Art Show. Show runs unitl Sept. 13th.
- May 18th – Jolleen Dick: Cultural Appreciation and Appropriation
- June 4th – Elspeth Watson A Lifetime in Art
Dates & details pending…
-In conjunction with RCN Media, launch of Winter Darbey’s new book.
-A free art making event.
Also, pending discussions on:
Arts Council’s Art Battle
Fall Social/Performance Evening?Membership Drive?Fundraiser at Char’s (using Grant’s coupon for venue)
Art Rave was approached by the Heritage Canada Day Committee asking Art Rave to participate. We have a pre-Covid grant in hand for that purpose rolled over from 2020.
A s the site is City property and unceded territory, the decision was made to contact the City requesting their confirmation that a conversation had taken place with the Hupachsath & Tseshaaht Nations.
Art Rave keeps Reconciliation in mind, so with flags still flying at half mast & ongoing forensic investigations at the residential school, a consultation about Canada Day ‘celebration’ is necessary prior to our participation.
*As of May 2nd, Art Rave has not received a confirmation of any consultation re: Canada Day celebration from the City.
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS PAY YOUR DUES $10.
C/o 5115 Gordon Ave
Wesley Bloxham, Art Rave co-founder and friend, passed away on June 4th, 2020, in Port Alberni.
Wes made a home here and was the creator and owner of Islands Gallery, on Argyle St.
Wes welcomed everyone into this remarkable space, which became a hang out for artists and the like, a distillery, of a kind, where the mash up of ideas, energies, dreams, resulted in a potent elixir some might call love.
‘Prenez moi comme je suis’ … ‘take me as I am’ speaks of Wes and his philosophy on life. In his acceptance of others, especially ‘the othered’, it’s how he chose to live his life, and how we will remember him. As his Art Rave cohorts, we continue to strive to live up to the standards Wes set for all of us.
Join us in sending out thoughts of love and care to Wes’ family and loved ones.
Safe passage dear friend
Colleen and the motley Art Rave crew
Luminary Work Party – Le Poisson needs a new lighting system and some installation will require repairs to outer skin. A repair work party at Char’s Landing is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, October 20th @ 2PM.
– Sunday, Oct. 20th is also Film Fest day at the Landmark. Perhaps those of us planning to attend could bring some food or order in and walk over for 5PM showing.
Art Rave Halloween/Day of the Dead Party – Get your costumes ready for Friday, Nov. 1st. Location: Scout Hall at 4th & Montrose at 7PM
– A Work party at Scout Hall is planned before that date to help organize the space for the party. Date & details will be shared at later date.
Art Rave Christmas Party/Fundraiser at Char’s Landing – Plans are under-way & preliminary dates for booking are Dec. 20th or 21st.
– We are waiting for date confirmation from Char and will keep you posted.
* Art Rave’s Community Investment Grant Application deadline is Nov 1. The funds received will be used for Art Rave’s 2020 Canada Day activities.
– We would love to hear your creative ideas for on-site activities. A detailed list of Canada Day activities and related budget are required for the grant application.
Please emails your ideas for innovative & creative all ages fun.
AGM on Monday, January 7th, 2019 at 7PM
3876 Keeha Drive, Port Alberni
Sincere thanks to Arrowvale Farm and the Collins for allowing Art Rave & Shaw to use their main building to shoot an upcoming Rave On segment with Gittan Klemetsrud. It’s a wonderful place to visit this time of year. Came home with a beautiful fresh wreath made from greens sourced at the farm.
Wreath Making Classes also available. Well worth checking out!