April 18th, 2013

Art Rave Society of Alberni
Board of Directors Meeting DRAFT Minutes
Date – April 18th, 2013 Place – Islands Gallery
1. Call to order: 7:10 pm – In attendance: Wes Bloxham, Michael Mallin, Tamas Zalatnai, Colleen Clancy

2. Adoption of agenda – all in favour

3. Adoption of previous board meeting minutes

4. Correspondence –

  • Email to Neil Malbon requesting use of train station – Neil’s confirmation back that the IHS agrees to Art Rave’s use of station for Juried Art Show as well as space for tents, in and around the station.
  • Letter from province – notification from province regarding keeping in good standing as a non-profit organization –
  • Check received by mail from Salmon Fest for 180.00 – in response to our request of a refund of 300.00.

5. Reports

  • Committee reports and timeline/s
  • Beer Gardens – Young Professionals of Port Alberni got a verbal commitment from the city for the Beer Gardens. Cameron O’Cseinney of YPPA will be following up.
  • Site committee- update/progress of painting the Train Station – scheduling, volunteers- Michael Mallin now has keys/passcode – contact person is Hugh Grist of HIS (250 724-4508/cel: 250 720 7012) paint colour “Biscotti chosen by Wes and Michael has been approved – account set up at Watson’s Paints. HIS has said yes to having two 20×20 pavillions on the surrounding train station grounds.
  • Jury committee – Chris to check out site. Richard has requested George to update website regarding submission details.
  • Art Project Tent – Carol, Sonya Jenny and Colleen – Jenny, Colleen letter sent to Neptune Canada asking for their presence at the Festival. Did get a response back. They are unavailable this year as they have other commitments, but would like to be kept informed as to how they could participate in the future.
  • Artists in Businesses – Wes will speak to Gayle Steven Player of Gayle’s Fashions and the Uptown Merchants – generate a list of Businesses interested in having artists showing art during festival and during the weeks leading up and after (month of August?)
  • Volunteer Drive committee – speak with George re volunteer recruitment.
  • Fund raising – initiatives – report from Wes regarding contribution from AV News – Teresa Bird of AV News has committed to being a sponsor – Advertising sponsor $2500.00 in-kind.
  • Wes reported on making a connection with Darren Willis of the Maclean Mill Studio which is situated at the Train Station and will be open to public late spring/early summer. Rob Gentleman has partnered with Darren re this initiative.
  • Wes spoke about the possibilities regarding fund raising on August 16th, the ‘Friday night Soiree. Starboard Grill’s owner Brad has already committed to providing appies for this event – Wes will connect with Lily Diotte of Swale Rock and find out her interest in getting involved. Wes mentioned the Rimrock and will contact someone there.
  • Press/Media releases – Michael Mallin to work on press release of 200 words for AV News, et al.
  • Island Arts Ad to go in by 21st, April . This was voted on, unanimous approval.
  • Annual General Meeting – choosing a date within 15 months of incorporation (April 23rd, 2012) – question – do we combine this with a funraising initiative?
  • Colleen will email George regarding choosing a date. George is planning to dbe back from Europe around the beginning of May.

6. Old Business

7. New Business

  • Michael reported on a plan to work with Shaw Cable re a short video of the painting of the Train Station – “Painting up a storm” in Preparation of the Art Rave Festival.

8. Next board meeting

9. Adjournment – 8:10 pm